From Inside HIgher ED:
Minnesota launched an online catalog of open-source books last month and will pay its professors $500 each time they post an evaluation of one of those books. (Faculty members elsewhere are welcome to post their own reviews, but they won’t be compensated.) Minnesota professors who have already adopted open-source texts will also receive $500, with all of the money coming from donor funds.
More info here.
Heather Campbell (Chegg.com’s Community Manager ) got in touch with me recently to tell me about a new service that Chegg offers. Chegg launched a new eReader recently, which may be of interest to DePaul students and faculty. You can find out more about it here:
Electronic text has the potential to be a huge disrupter to the educational environment (and the effects are already visible). In this Technology Tuesdays session learn what ebook options are available for your and your students to use. You will also discover how you can create your own ebooks and etextbooks, Providers/options that will be covered include:
- Apple iBooks Author
- Barnes and Noble NOOK Study
- DePaul Library Ebooks
- Flat World Knowledge
- Project Gutenberg
- Safari Online
You can RSVP for the upcoming session here.
Inkling has an upcoming webinar that I think will be of interest to Commerce faculty (and fans of eTextbooks). The event is on the 22nd of February:
“Wondering how to transition from print textbooks to digital on a platform that both faculty and students will embrace? Join Matt MacInnis, the founder and CEO of Inkling, the premier publishing platform for digital MBA textbooks and the newest EMBA Council member, for a discussion about the brave new world of Smartbooks. MacInnis will demonstrate how popular MBA titles are now Smartbooks on Inkling’s platform.”
You can register here:
- Make sure that the XanEdu iPad app v2 is installed on the iPad. If not, download from the App Store.
- Log into Desire2Learn from the iPad using an internet browser such as Safari.
- Click on the XanEdu course material link.
- If you have not already purchased your course materials, complete your credit card transaction.
- You will then be taken to a table of contents.
- Click on the “Get Started on the iPad” button.
- The CoursePack will automatically download to your bookshelf.
DESKTOP / LAPTOP INSTRUCTIONS
- Log into Desire2Learn.
- Locate and click on a link to the XanEdu materials. The first time you click, you will be prompted to complete your credit card transaction. Subsequently, you will be taken to the table of contents for the XanEdu title.
- Ensure Adobe Acrobat Reader is on your device.
- Click on the name of the item you want .
- Click on "Download Entire CoursePack(PDF)".
- Click on the Disk Icon on the top left of the page to save the file.
- Select the folder where you want it saved. If the file opened in your browser window, right click and choose "Save As" and select a location.