All students have been assigned a BlueM@il email address (username @depaul.edu). Starting this fall term, all DePaul communications (including emails sent from D2L) will be sent to student BlueM@il addresses.
In order to receive any communications from the university, all students will need to access and regularly check their BlueM@il mailbox.
Please communicate with your students prior to term, and let them know:
- Students have a new BlueM@il email address (username @depaul.edu)
- Starting fall term, the university will no longer send messages to students’ external email accounts (like Gmail or Yahoo).
- Starting fall term, all class and university communications will go to their BlueM@il.address.
Ways for students to check email (use their BlueM@il and BlueKey login credentials):
- Outlook web app: Go to office365.depaul.edu and select the Outlook icon
- Outlook desktop app: Go to office365.depaul.edu and download Office 365 including Outlook
- Outlook mobile app: Download the Outlook mobile app on iPhone or Android
- Other email app of your choice connected to Outlook 365 using BlueKey login credentials
Why are students using BlueM@il instead of services like Gmail or Yahoo?
For questions about student email, login issues, and accessing email, please see the Student Email and University Communications article in the Knowledge Base.
This means that email sent via D2L (using a yahoo email address) will not be delivered. DePaul has no control over this.
However, you could use your depaul.edu email address instead. To do this, you will have to make a change in Campus Connection. This PDF explains how to update your profile.
If you need to send an email to your class, please be sure to use the "Email Classlist" button located at the top of the Classlist page. This has replaced the "Email everyone on this tab" button that we had in the old D2L version. Please see the attached screenshot or these instructions: http://d2l.iddresources.org/pdf/Email%20Quickguide.pdf This is important because if you have your Classlist view set to 20 students per page and you try to check them all and click the "Email" button, the email will only go to the selected students on that page. So, any students beyond 20 will not be included in the email.It's also a good idea to add any important emails to students as News Items in your course: http://d2l.iddresources.org/pdf/News%20Quickguide.pdf
I get the occasional question on how to setup DePaul email on Android smartphones. I don’t use an Android phone on a regular basis, but there is a very easy way to configure these devices - the process to do this can be found here:
DePaul is in the process of upgrading the Outlook/Exchange servers that we use for email. This might have caused some Mac users (running Entourage on Mac OS X) some issues - where email send/receive was unavailable. Information Services has provided a solution that should fix the problem: