CELEBRATE INNOVATION WITH CHICAGO’S LINUX & OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE ENTHUSIASTS AT FLOURISH! 2011
From April 1 - 3, Free Technology Conference Brings Fifth Year of Insightful Talks and Hands-on Workshops about Open-source Software, Technology, and Culture
MARCH 15, 2011 — Chicago, IL
An annual gathering of, for, and by enthusiasts of open-source software, technology, and culture, taking place at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
This year, you can also take your exams for certification by the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) and BSD Certification Group (BSDCG).
FEATURED SPEAKERS and TOPICS
Flourish! 2011's list of speakers include:
- Chris Palmer, Technology Director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, on Internet decentralization efforts
- Chris McAvoy, VP of Technology at Threadless, on "What Should You Build?"
- Ryan "Icculus" Gordon, professional Linux 3D game developer
- Vinod Kutty, CME Group, on migrating to Linux on x86
- Cathy Malmrose, CEO of ZaReason, on stress-testing Linux hardware
- Mark Meeker, Principal UI Engineer for Orbitz Worldwide, on real-world Web development
- Edward R. Swiderski III, partner at GreenCanyon, on "Is Software Licensing Still Relevant?"
- Daliah Saper, Principal of SaperLaw, on the legal aspects of open source
- Italo Vignoli, The Document Foundation, LibreOffice
- Mitch Altman, CEO of Cornfield Electronics, on forming communities
- Dru Lavigne, Community Manager of PC-BSD, on the PC-BSD desktop
- Dean Wampler, Principal of Aspect Research Associates, on Scala
Complete list of speakers at http://www.flourishconf.com/2011/speakers
April 1 - 3, 2011
April 1, Evening Program
- Reception 4:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Keynotes start at 4:30 p.m.
April 2, Day-Long Program
- Morning Reception 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Main conference starts at 10:00 a.m.
April 3, Mid-Day Program
- Morning Reception 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Day starts at 11:00 a.m
Certification exams take place from 11am - 3pm. Go to the Flourish! website for more details: http://www.flourishconf.com/2011/exams
Complete schedule will be available at http://www.flourishconf.com/2011/schedule
UIC Student Center East
750 South Halsted Street
Flourish! is organized by the Computer Science department of the University of Illinois at Chicago’s (UIC’s) School of Engineering, as well as the University's Linux user group and chapter of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM). The conference is sponsored in part by GreenCanyon, Linux Journal, the Linux Professional Institute, Orbitz, O'Reilly, SourceForge, Times Two Technology, Threadless and Ubuntu.
Registration is free at http://www.flourishconf.com/2011/registration
Join Flourish on Facebook at http://facebook.com/flourishconf/
Conference updates and conversation-starters on Twitter at http://twitter.com/flourishconf/.
Phil Gomes just emailed me to remind me that FlourishConf 2011 will be held April 1-3 this year.
They have some great speakers, including folks from Threadless, Nokia, 3Ware, ZaReason and the Open Source Digital Voting project.
The conference is well worth attending. Detailed schedule is coming soon.
The conference has a presence on Facebook (http://facebook.com/flourishconf) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/flourishconf/).