- Online Learning
- Tech Tuesdays
- Zoom and Panopto
- D2L Daylight
- 10 Hacks & Gadgets
- How Students Cheat with Technology
- The Collaboratory
- Mini Studio
- 3D Printing
- Leap Motion, Chromebooks, and Chromecast
- Windows Surface Pro
- iPad Lecture Capture
- Wacom Cintiq
- Android Pendrives and the Raspberry Pi
- Blogging For Faculty
- Technology Tools
- XanEdu and CoursePacks Copy
- Library Timesavers
- Google Wave
- Sansa Clip and NetBooks
- Livescribe Pulse
- Who Watches The Bloggers?
- Class Recording
- Second Life
- Vyew and Camtasia
This presentation is available in three formats:
|You can view the streaming video version by pressing the play button above.|
|Alternatively, you can download the video as a M4V file. This version will play in iTunes, QuickTime and on iPods, iPhones and Apple TVs.
iTunes is a free download that will work on both Microsoft Windows and Apple OS X.
|Lastly, you can download the presentation as a 3GP file. This file will play on mobile devices that support the Third-Generation Platform standard for mobile devices.|
What Is Second Life?
Second Life is a virtual world that you access through your computer. You need to be connected to the Internet to access Second Life and using a client program (Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X).
Second Life was inspired by the science-fiction novel Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson. The book introduced the Metaverse - a fully immersive 3D virtual space with:
- An in-world economy
- Real-world metaphor
On this page I have provided links to resources and tutorials that should get you up-to-speed on Second Life.
Second Life Tutorials
- Creating Your Second Life Avatar
- Harvard University's Extension School has a seventeen-minute video tutorial that explains how to create your Second Life avatar from scratch. The tutorial was created for the Law in the Court of Public Opinion course.
- SLTutorials has an extensive selection of video tutorials.
- Second Life Wiki
- Second Life has a Wiki in which there are numerous video tutorials.
- PacificRim Exchange with links to videos, tutorials, wiki’s, programs, books and other useful tools for those new to Second Life.
- The Unofficial Complete Fool's Guide to Second Life
- PDF guide and tutorial to Second Life.
- TeacherTube educational videos.
YouTube Video Tutorials
There are many Second Life tutorials available on YouTube (just search for "second life tutorial"). Here are some that answer some of the more immediate questions:
How to change your appearance
How to manage your inventory
Making Hair for Templates
Second Life Articles
- Annotated Bibliography
- Mark Pepper's annotated bibliography of Second Life educational online resources.
- NMC Campus Observer
- New Media Consortium’s experimental Second Life environment.
- Open SLedware
- Open SLedware in an initiative of SL educators to make course content accessible to all
- Second Life Best Practices in Education
- Archive from the 2007 International Conference.
- Second Life Education Wiki
- Linden Lab's official resource for educators in Second Life.
- Second Life in Education
- Overview of the educational possibilities of virtual worlds.
- SLED Events Calendar
- SLED Events in Second Life time (Google calendar).