Writing Group Appointments
Writing Groups are an UCWbL service in which a Writing Center Tutor facilitates a review and discussion of works in progress for a group of 3 or more writers. These 90-minute meetings are scheduled on a weekly or biweekly basis, and they are designed to provide support and feedback for specific fields of writing. Each session usually combines discussion and feedback, although the focus is determined by the writers' needs, and the meeting's agenda is developed collaboratively by the facilitator and writers.
Writers seek or join Writing Groups for a variety of reasons:
- Accountability—Writing Groups give writers a deadline and motivation to write
- Feedback—Writing Groups provide reassurance, suggestions, and recommendations for revision
- Guidance—Writing Groups can help writers become familiar with new genres, reader's needs, and reader's expectations
- Brainstorming—Writing Groups help writers generate and develop ideas
- Networking—Writing Groups provide a community for people with like-minded interests
- Inspiration—Writing Groups help people who are looking for different perspectives and new ideas
How Writing Groups Appointments Work
The UCWbL will provide a space and a facilitator for your group, and Writing Groups can be scheduled to meet at the Loop or Lincoln Park Campus, depending on the group.
To learn more about starting and maintaining a Writing Group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing Groups by Request
Want to be a part of a Writing Group, but don't see a time or place listed for your writing area? Or maybe you want to form your own group with friends or with classmates? We can help! You can form your own Writing Group at the time and campus you want and we will offer a tutor and a location to help facilitate the group. Contact us today!