To Lecture Notes
Important Mespotamian Kings
- Legendary first King of Mesopotamia, 2700 BC.
- Had the first walled city in Mesopotamia built.
- Became the hero of many legends.
- Ruled in Babylon, 1792 - 1750 BC.
- First written code of laws.
- Code was enscribed on a six-feet high stone tablet, posted in
a public area.
- Code was written in the local language Akkadian so any literate
person could read it.
- Some new concepts in the code:
- More just than previous legal systems.
- An eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth.
- Resumed innocent until proven guilty.
- Accused can provide evidence.
- He ruled in Mespotamia, 2260 - 2223 BC.
- First Mesopotamian king to claim he was a god.
- A famous victory stele was created to commemorate him,
Gombrich, p. 71.
- The victory stele is currently kept in the Louve Museum, Paris.