- Cannon-Brown, Willie. Aesthetic Ideal in Kemet: An Afrocentric Examination. Ph.D., Temple U., 2005.
- Damme, Wilfried van. "Beauty in Context (Part 1): Aesthetic Preference and Sociocultural Ideals Among the Baule and Fang," in Beauty in Context: Towards an Anthropological Approach to Aesthetics by Wilfried van Damme, pp. 205-264. Leiden, et. al.: E. J. Brill, 1996. [Review by Ed Carter available online in JASO: Journal of the Anthopological Society of Oxford 29, no. 3 (1998): pp. 273-275.]
- Damme, Wilfried van. "Beauty in Context (Part 2): Aesthetic Preference and Sociocultural Ideals Among the Igbo and the Asante," in Beauty in Context: Towards an Anthropological Approach to Aesthetics by Wilfried van Damme, pp. 265-307. Leiden, et. al.: E. J. Brill, 1996. [Review by Ed Carter available online in JASO: Journal of the Anthopological Society of Oxford 29, no. 3 (1998): pp. 273-275.]
- Damme, Wilfried van. "Some Notes on Defining Aesthetics in the Anthropological Literature." JASO: Journal of the Anthropological Society of Oxford 22, no. 2 (1991): pp. 167-181.
- Doris, David T. "Coming Together and Falling Apart: Something about Brooms and Nigeria." African Arts 42, no. 3 (Autumn 2009): pp. 42-51.
- Doris, David T. "Symptoms and Strangeness in Yorùbá Anti-Aesthetics." African Arts 38, no. 4 (Winter 2005): pp. 24-31, 92.
- Doris, David T. "The Unfunctioning Baby and Other Spectacular Departures from the Human in Yoruba Visual Culture." RES: Anthropology and Aesthetics 49/50 (Spring - Autumn 2006): pp. 115-138.
- Doris, David T. Vigilant Things: On Thieves, Yoruba Anti-Aesthetics, and the Fates of Ordinary Objects in Nigeria. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 2011. [Reviewed by Bolaji Campbell in The Art Bulletin 95, no. 2 (June 2013): pp. 336-338.]
- Fischer, Eberhard and Hans Himmelheber. The Arts of the Dan in West Africa. Zürich: Museum Rietberg, 1984.
- Flam, Jack D. "Some aspects of style symbolism in Sudanese sculpture." Journal de la Société des Africanistes 40, no. 2 (1970): pp. 137-150.
- Hallen, Barry. The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful: Discourse about Values in Yoruba Culture. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2000. [Reviewed by David T. Doris in African Arts 35, no. 3 (Autumn 2002): pp. 7-8, 10, 88.]
- Nutall, Sarah, ed. Beautiful/Ugly: African and Diaspora Aesthetics. Durham: Duke University Press, 2006. [Reviewed online by Heather Shirey on H-Net, available at http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=23477.]
- Sanga, Imani. "Antinomies of African aesthetics and the impulses of aesthetic relativism: reading p’Bitek, Abiodun and Agawu." African Identities 15, no. 3 (2017): pp. 310-323.
- Terrasse, Henri. "Les limites del'art chez les Berbères du Maroc." Outre-Mer: Revue générale de colonisation (Paris) 1, no. 4 (Dec. 1929): pp. 447-466.