- "Afro-Portuguese Ivories," in Elephant: The Animal and Its Ivory in African Culture edited by Doran H. Ross,
pp. 292-293. Los Angeles: Fowler Museum of Cultural History, University of California, Los Angeles, 1992.
- Akar, John. "The Arts in Sierra Leone." Sierra Leone Review (Washington, DC) 1, no. 1 (Winter 1992): pp.
- Art from Sierra Leone: 7th July-4th August 1990. Hull, England: Hull City Council, 1990.
- Banton, Michael. West African City: A Study of Tribal Life in Freetown. London: Oxford University
- Bender, Wolfgand. "From God to Man: Wandmalerei in Sierra Leone (West-Afrika)." Ika: Zeitschrift für
Kulturaustausch & Kulturkalender “Dritte Welt” (Hamburg) 41 (Feb. 1991): pp. 22-24.
- Curnow, Kathy. "Alien or Accepted: African Perspectives on the Western 'Other' in 15th and 16th Century Art." Society for Visual Anthropology Review 6, no. 1 (Spring 1990): pp. 38-43.
- Edwards, Joanna P. "The Sociological Significance and Uses of Mende Country Cloth," in History, Design, and Craft in West African Strip-Woven Cloth: Papers Presented at a Symposium Organized by the National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, February 18-19, 1988, pp. 133-168. Washington, DC: The National Museum of African Art, 1992.
- Gervis, Guy. "Koidu, Sierra Leone's Second City," in Shelter in Africa edited by Paul Oliver, pp. 210-216. New York: Praeger, 1971.
- Gottschalk, Burkhard. Bundu: Buschteufel im Land der Mende. Düsseldorf: U. Gottschalk, 1990.
- Gottschalk, Burkhard. Bundu: Bush-Devils in the Land of the Mende. Düsseldorf: U. Gottschalk, 1992. [Reviewed by Ruth B. Phillips in African Arts (Los Angeles) 27, no. 2 (April 1994) pp. 20, 22-24, 92; Response by Burkhard Gottschalk, “An Open Letter to Ruth Phillips on the Review of Bundu: Bush-Devils in the Land of the Mende (1992),” in African Art (Los Angeles) 29, no. 1 (Winter 1995): pp. 11-12, 14.]
- Guyer, Nanina. "Picturing Secrecy? The Visualization of “Secret Societies” in Historical Photographs from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Cameroon." Visual Anthropology 27, no. 4 (2014): pp. 410-414.
- Hart, W. A. "Aron Arabai: The Temne Mask of Chieftaincy." African Arts (Los Angeles) 19, no. 2 (1986): pp. 41-5.
- Hart, W. A. "A Rediscovered Afro-Portuguese Horn in the British Museum (Research Note)." African Arts
(Los Angeles) 26, no. 4 (October 1993): pp. 70-1, 87-8.
- Hart, W. A. "Sculptures of the Njayei Society Among the Mende." African Arts (Los Angeles) 26, no. 3
(July 1993): pp. 46-53, 86.
- Ivory: An International History and Illustrated Survey. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (1987): pp. 170-199.
- Jedrej, M.C. "A Comparison of Some Masks from North America, Africa, and Melanesia."
Journal of Anthropological Research (Albuquerque) 36, no. 21 (Summer 1980): pp. 220-230.
- Jedrej, M.C. "Dan and Mende Masks: A Structural Comparison." Africa 56, no. 1 (1986): pp. 71-80.
- Lamb, Venice. "A Vai Kpokpo." Hali: The International Magazine of Fine Carpets and Textiles
(London) 14, no. 5, 65 (Oct. 1992): pp. 84-85.
- Ottenberg, Simon. "The Beaded Bands of Bafodea." African Arts (Los Angeles) 25, no. 2 (April 1992): pp.
- Potentier, P. "L’habitat Temné (Sierra Leone)." Notes africaines 61 (Jan. 1954): ????.
- Siddle, D. J. "The Evolution of Rural Settlements in Sierra Leone circa 1400 to 1968." Sierra Leone
Geographical Journal 13 (1969): ????.
- Siddle, D. J. "War Towns in Sierra Leone." Africa 38, no. 1 (1968): ????.
- Silberfein, Marilyn. "Spatial Planning in Sierra Leone: A Kenema District Case Study." Sierra Leone
Studies at Birmingham 1988: Proceedings of the Fifth Birmingham Sierra Leone Studies Symposium, 15th-17th July 1988,
Fircroft College, Birmingham, edited by Adam Jones, et. al. Birmingham: Centre of West African Studies, University
of Birmingham, 1990: 121-32.
- Tagliaferri, Aldo. "Sculture in pietra della Sierra Leone, della Guinea e della Liberia: Alcune questioni di metodo," in Dall'archeologia all'arte tradizionale africana/De l'archéologie à l'art traditionnel africain/From Archaeology to Traditonal African Art: A cura di Gigi Pezzoli, pp. 119-128. Milano: Centro Studi Archeologia Africana, 1992.
- Tuchscherer, Konrad Timothy. "African script and scripture : the history of the Kikakui (Mende) writing system for Bible translation."
African Languages and Cultures 8, no. 2 (1995): pp. 169-188.
- Tuchscherer, Konrad Timothy. The 'Kikakui' (Mende) Syllabary and Number Writing System: Descriptive, Historical and Ethnographic Accounts of a West African Tradition of Writing. Ph.D. thesis, University of London, 1996.
- Tuchscherer, Konrad Timothy and P.E.H. Hair. "Cherokee and West Africa: Examining the Origins of the Vai Script." History in Africa 29 (2002): pp. 427-486.