We have scheduled several D2L training sessions specifically for College of Business faculty. The purpose behind these sessions is to provide Business faculty with just the basics, in a way that just makes life easier. We also cover the recent changes to D2L, and show you the improvements that matter to faculty. D2L is a great tool for emailing your students, sharing your syllabus, and more.
The next session takes place Tuesday March 25th from 10-11AM, and is followed by an optional open workshop.
Two more sessions are scheduled for 2014:
- May 27, 2014
- September 30, 2014
Desire2Learn for the Busy Professor
You’ve heard about Desire2Learn and all the exciting things it can do- but not everyone has the time to dive in and do all of them! This workshop is designed to get you up and running with a minimum of time and absolutely no fuss. In less than an hour you will learn how to introduce yourself, share documents, and communicate with your students through D2L. This is also a great opportunity to learn more about the support and training opportunities available to you through DePaul’s Faculty Instructional Technology Services department.
Josh Lund will present these sessions. Josh is the FITS department’s Senior Instructional Technology Consultant for the Driehaus College of Business and the School of Music. He provides support for online course development, leads workshops, and researches best practices in teaching and learning to bring directly to faculty.
- Date: March 25, 2014
- Time: 10-11 a.m.
- Location: Lewis 1266
Lewis 1266 has both Mac and PC computers; there is no need to bring a laptop unless you want to. Lewis 1266 is in the area marked “FITS - Faculty Instructional Technology Services” on the 12th floor of the Lewis Center.
To RSVP, please visit:
We also have a Technology Tuesday session next week on Google Glass:
Google Glass Demonstration
Google Glass is a combination of wearable computing and Augmented Reality. It is a computing device worn like a pair of reading glasses, which provides optical and audio information to the user. Rather than having to get out a cellphone, you could instantly see directions, photos, emails, alerts, etc. in your immediate field of view. Google Glasses allow the wearer to take pictures and to record video. You can even videoconference with them, or chat on the ‘phone. Some privacy proponents believe that this device crosses a line, allowing the wearer to record video and audio surreptitiously, or use face-recognition apps to identify strangers.
In this hands-on session, discover what exactly Google Glass is, and potential uses within the classroom for both educators and students.
Next year, your students may be wearing Google Glasses to class…
- Date: February 25, 2014
- Time: 10-11 a.m.
- Location: DPC 5114 (Dean's Meeting Room)
To RSVP, please visit:
Activating Your D2L Course
- Go http://D2L.depaul.edu
- Click on the course you want to activate.
- Click “Edit Course” on the far right side of the course navbar.
- Click “Course Offering Information” under the “Site Setup” heading.
- Check “Course is Active.”
- Click “Save” at the bottom. Your course is now activated. Students will see your course listed in their “My Courses” widget when they log in to D2L.
You can print out a QuickGuide with this information here:
Emailing Students Via D2L
- Faculty support via email@example.com
- D2L requests via http://www.itd.depaul.edu/lmsforms/allforms.aspx
- Online tutorials via http://teachingcommons.depaul.edu/Technology/d2l/index.html
- Workshops via http://fits.depaul.edu/workshops/Pages/default.aspx
I hope you have a pleasant and productive Spring Quarter. Please get in contact if there is anything we can do to help you use online services more effectively in your classes.
The Spring Quarter classes are now loaded in Desire2Learn, and ready for you to use. These classes are currently hidden from student view, but can be made available in three mouse clicks.
Here are some quick suggestions for you, as you prepare for the Spring Quarter:
1) Sign up for a D2L Workshop
FITS (Faculty Instructional Technology Services) runs regular workshops and open labs that cover all aspects of Desire2Learn. You can register for a workshop here:
Online tutorials and PDFs can be found here:
2) Attend the “Desire2Learn for Busy Faculty” Session on Tuesday, 28th February
This session is designed to help Commerce faculty quickly create a Desire2Learn course from scratch in less than 15 minutes, and to highlight how DePaul supports faculty using technology.
This hands-on session will cover:
- How to create a course in less than 15 minutes, including:
- Uploading all your handouts and resources
- Creating a news announcement
- Creating a D2L user profile
- Creating a D2L discussion board
- Emailing your students
- Activating your course
- Copying a D2L course
- Adding guest presenters and teaching assistants
- Deactivating a course
- Embedding a YouTube Video
- Linking to online resources
- D2L resources and training
The D2L session will be held in DPC 6306 (the trading room on the 6th floor of the DePaul Center) on Tuesday, February 28th. 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m
DPC 6306 is a PC-equipped room. You will be able to update or create your D2L course during the session.
You can RSVP for the session at:
3) Request a Course Copy
D2L allows you to manually copy course components, but you can also make a request to have a previous course copied into an upcoming course. Typically this will take 24-48 hours to complete. The process to follow is:
- Go to the FITS website at http://fits.depaul.edu
- In the green box on the right side of the screen (FITS Quick Links) click on D2L Request Forms.
- On the next page, click on Copy Course Content.
- On the next page, enter your Campus Connection Username and Password, then click on Login.
- Select the course you want to Copy From.
- Select the course you want to Copy Into.
- Click on Submit.
- On the next page, verify that the information you have provided is correct, and then click on Submit.
4) Make Your Course Available
By default your Desire2Learn course is unavailable. Your students will not be able to see your course until it is made available. To make your course available:
- In your D2L course, click the Edit Course link on your course navigation bar, then click Course Offering Information.
- Check the Active: Course is active box.
- Click on Save.
5) Send An Email Announcement To Your Students
Your Desire2Learn course allows you to send email messages to your students. This is an easy way to send out your syllabus to your students before the class starts.
- In your D2L course, click on Classlist.
- Click on the Students tab.
- Click on Email everyone on this tab.
- In the floating window, compose your message, and then click on Send.