Back in February, I posted about an issue with Internet Explorer 11, D2L, and Remote Proctor Now (Secured exams taken with Remote Proctor Now on a Windows PC with Internet Explorer 11 installed on will not work - The option to “Go to Submit Quiz” is unclickable, and students will not be able to complete a secure exam). A patch to D2L has fixed the issue. Secured exams will work with Desire2Learn as normal.
Firefox is still the browser that DePaul recommends that students use with D2L.
Currently we have an issue with the most recent version of Internet Explorer and Remote Proctor Now:
Secured exams taken with Remote Proctor Now on a Windows PC with Internet Explorer 11 installed on will not work. The option to “Go to Submit Quiz” is unclickable, and students will not be able to complete a secure exam.
Students using Mac OS X are unaffected by this issue.
Students using Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.0 (but not Windows 8.1) will be able to take secure exams if they do not have Internet Explorer 11 installed. Earlier versions of Internet Explorer (such as Internet Explorer 9 or 10) should allow for successful completion of a secure exam.
There is a process to rollback/downgrade to an earlier version of Internet Explorer, described below.
Students using Windows 8.1 are unable to rollback/downgrade to an earlier version of Internet Explorer 11. The only solution is to use a different computer, with does not have Internet Explorer 11 installed.
We are working with Desire2Learn for a solution to the issue.
The process for uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 is as follows:
- Go to Windows Update > View updates and find the line for Internet Explorer 11 and uninstall from there. This requires a computer restart.
- After that, in order to prevent Internet Explorer from auto-updating, open IE10 and click on the gear in upper right corner of Internet Explorer and choose “About Internet Explorer” and uncheck "Install new versions automatically" and follow prompts.
DePaul's Help Desk can assist with the process of downgrading from Internet Explorer 11: +1 (312) 362-8765.
“Several people have asked about pasting messages into Desire2Learn, when using Internet Explorer, such as for news items or other text boxes. I uncovered the issue and would like to share the fix.
- Go to the Start Menu > Settings/Control Panel > Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab.
- Select the button, Trusted sites, the green checkmark icon.
- Select the Sites button and type *.depaul.edu. Uncheck ‘Require server verification’ then click Add.
- Click Close and click Okay to exit.
This “fix” enables all sites associated with depaul.edu to be trusted, allowing functionality of pasting messages into D2L using Internet Explorer. The window will look like the one below.”