The Spring Quarter classes are now loaded in Desire2Learn
The Spring Quarter classes are now loaded in Desire2Learn, and ready for you to use. These classes are currently hidden from student view, but can be made available in three mouse clicks.
Here are some quick suggestions for you, as you prepare for the Spring Quarter:
1) Sign up for a D2L Workshop
FITS (Faculty Instructional Technology Services) runs regular workshops and open labs that cover all aspects of Desire2Learn. You can register for a workshop here:
Online tutorials and PDFs can be found here:
2) Attend the “Desire2Learn for Busy Faculty” Session on Tuesday, 28th February
This session is designed to help Commerce faculty quickly create a Desire2Learn course from scratch in less than 15 minutes, and to highlight how DePaul supports faculty using technology.
This hands-on session will cover:
- How to create a course in less than 15 minutes, including:
- Uploading all your handouts and resources
- Creating a news announcement
- Creating a D2L user profile
- Creating a D2L discussion board
- Emailing your students
- Activating your course
- Copying a D2L course
- Adding guest presenters and teaching assistants
- Deactivating a course
- Embedding a YouTube Video
- Linking to online resources
- D2L resources and training
The D2L session will be held in DPC 6306 (the trading room on the 6th floor of the DePaul Center) on Tuesday, February 28th. 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m
DPC 6306 is a PC-equipped room. You will be able to update or create your D2L course during the session.
You can RSVP for the session at:
3) Request a Course Copy
D2L allows you to manually copy course components, but you can also make a request to have a previous course copied into an upcoming course. Typically this will take 24-48 hours to complete. The process to follow is:
- Go to the FITS website at http://fits.depaul.edu
- In the green box on the right side of the screen (FITS Quick Links) click on D2L Request Forms.
- On the next page, click on Copy Course Content.
- On the next page, enter your Campus Connection Username and Password, then click on Login.
- Select the course you want to Copy From.
- Select the course you want to Copy Into.
- Click on Submit.
- On the next page, verify that the information you have provided is correct, and then click on Submit.
4) Make Your Course Available
By default your Desire2Learn course is unavailable. Your students will not be able to see your course until it is made available. To make your course available:
- In your D2L course, click the Edit Course link on your course navigation bar, then click Course Offering Information.
- Check the Active: Course is active box.
- Click on Save.
5) Send An Email Announcement To Your Students
Your Desire2Learn course allows you to send email messages to your students. This is an easy way to send out your syllabus to your students before the class starts.
- In your D2L course, click on Classlist.
- Click on the Students tab.
- Click on Email everyone on this tab.
- In the floating window, compose your message, and then click on Send.